Spring is here and it is time to exchange sweaters and turtlenecks for short-sleeved button-downs and polos. While jet setting has its advantages – discovering new cities, countries, cultures, and cuisines, it has its disadvantages. Excessive consumption of unhealthy foods and inactivity contribute to poor fitness.
Fortunately, your on-the-go lifestyle does not have to compromise your commitment to fitness. Compound movements are the busy professional’s best friend. These exercises work multiple muscle groups simultaneously, maximizing fitness in minimal time.
This month’s feature exercise engages the total body – targeting the legs, back, and shoulders. Secondary emphasis focuses on core strength (essential for balance). Perform four sets of 12 repetitions, alternating your anchored leg each set.
Exercise of the Month –
Uni Stiff-Legged Deadlift with Dumbbell Row
1. Stand upright with a dumbbell in each hand.
2. Extend one leg behind you (hinging at the hips) as you bend forward until parallel to the floor, keeping your back flat and abs tucked in to support your spine.
3. Maintaining your balance, lift the dumbbells to your chest (lead with the elbows and squeeze the shoulder blades at the top of the movement).
4. Lower the dumbbells and return to the start position.
Health and Fitness Challenge
1) Set 3-5 Outcome Goals. The end-result of a series of behaviors you consistently perform. You cannot directly control the accomplishment of the goals. Ex: I want to lose 8 pounds in 8 weeks.
2) Determine your Limiting Factors. These are the elements hindering your ability to attain your goals (e.g. social, environmental, mental, etc.) Ex: I constantly eat fast food while on trips.
3) Set 3-5 Behavioral Goals and Commit. Determine what steps you have to take to accomplish your goals. You directly control the goal by your daily action or inaction. Ex: I commit to eating clean 90% of the time I am not traveling.
Candice McField is an ACE Certified Health Coach, WNBF Pro Figure competitor, and avid global traveler. Passionate about fitness and travel, Candice serves a client base of on-the-go professionals; providing them with personalized tools to train anytime, anywhere.
Do you have questions or suggestions for an upcoming article? Would you like to share your story with me? Send your comments and inquiries directly to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I would love to hear from you. Arise!®